Passage from Auckland, New Zealand, Rarotonga and Tahiti – April 10 to May 3, 2002

Passage from Auckland, New Zealand, Rarotonga and Tahiti – April 10 to May 3, 2002

Orams Marine in Auckland

2002 was a very good year; Don and I covered 7,800 nautical miles on MV Starr from April to October, with the help of friends on the longer passages. Much to my amazement, I did very well as the only mate, deckhand, stewardess, cook and chief bottlewasher, mostly because Don could be Captain and all of the above as well.

Due to business considerations back at home, Don and I weren’t able to make the passage from Auckland to Raro (the first passage that we missed since we left Seattle in November 2000).

April 10 – Starr left Auckland in the capable hands of our friend, Captain Lars Nilsson, and his crew, Lars Sjostrand from Sweden and Wayne and Carol Lockhart from Vancouver, Canada. 213nm out from Auckland, STARR had to turn around and head back. In sea conditions that were not particularly rough, the portlights in the master stateroom shattered due to faulty work done by subcontractors at Oram’s Shipyard in Auckland.

April 14 to 23 – After completing the necessary repairs Starr left Auckland a second time, traveling the 1640nm to Rarotonga. . Due to the unexpected delays, upon arrival in Raro, Wayne and Carol had to fly home to Vancouver B.C.

April 27 – Don flew to Raro. Don, Lars, Lars, and Lloyd Ngariki from Raro took the boat the remaining 615 nm to Tahiti.

May 3 – Our guests, Mike and Colleen Gaylord and I flew to Tahiti and join the boat.

Lars Nilsson in Rarotonga

Starr in the Paint Shed at Orams Shipyard

The Launching of Starr in Auckland

Starr almost back in the water at Orams Shipyard

Beautiful Downtown Rarotonga (with Starr in background)

The Boys in Rarotonga: Lars Smostrand (Lassie), Don, Lars Nilsson and Lloyd Ngariki

Arrival in Papeete

Mike & Colleen Gaylord on the hike to the waterfall at Daniel’s Bay, Nuka Hiva

The Spires of Ua Pou

No Comments

Post A Comment