It’s been a roller coaster week!…

It’s been a roller coaster week!…

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!

Sharry and I are back in Hawaii with Starr and planning our next nine months of cruising. The plan has been to sail the Hawaiian islands until the weather in the North settles down and then head to Kodiak or Prince William Sound on the Alaska panhandle for the summer.

But recently looking through old photos; reminiscing about the past, we came across images of our year cruising Japan (2010-11) which really ignited our passion for cruising there again.

PNW CCA members Rob and Kathleen Harlow’s boat “Capaz” is stuck in Fukuoka on Kyushu Island and they can’t get entry back from Seattle into Japan. “Tourism” is banned to air travel, however, Japan seems to be granting access to sailors if they have been at sea more than 15 days.

The Harlow’s contacted Kirk Patterson, Konpira Consulting, in Japan.

They found Kirk to be very helpful.  Kirk thought he could get us get access to cruise Japan for 90 days. After 3 months we would have to go out to sea for another 14 days to renew our passports.

This news got our hearts racing on the thoughts of revisiting those beautiful islands, optimally starting in early March, and then leave Hokkaido and make the crossing over to Alaska in early June.

However, with what is going on with the new Omicron variant entry requirements could change at any time.

Starr has a fuel range of 4000nm and the run to Japan from Hawaii is just over 3500nm so with any inclement weather on the way we would be on fumes on arrival. Obviously we don’t make any crossing unless we have 25-30% additional fuel as a safety factor.

With all of the COVID-19 variables we felt we just can’t take the risk of the borders closing completely.

So unfortunately Japan is a no go, but there is plenty to keep us busy. Starr comes out of the water early January in Honolulu and a good friend, Doug Janes flies in to help out. We have to drop and reseal the stabilizer fins, reattach the propeller line cutters (Spurs) and give her a fresh coat of bottom paint.

So it’s back to plan A, cruise the Hawaiian islands for the next few months then work our way with Starr up to Kokiak towards the end of May – we can’t wait to be back in the beautiful North West again.

Aloha and seasons greetings to all.

  • Douglas Cole
    Posted at 18:34h, 22 December Reply

    Don & Sharry,

    Thanks for the update. Sounds like Plan A will work just fine. We’re in the Kona area on our annual December retreat and will be looking real hard across the water for your wave.

    Doug C.

  • Hector Cyre
    Posted at 22:44h, 22 December Reply

    Great to hear from you guys; We miss seeing you once in while when our wakes cross up in B.C. We are spending our second consecutive winter on San Juan Island, and hoping that maybe New Zealand will want to see our smiling faces again in 2023.
    Have a wonderful Christmas and 2022.
    Hec and Jan

  • sam r sands
    Posted at 15:07h, 23 December Reply

    Your favorite cousin🤩 Sam Sands.. this coming July august September we will be up in Hood Cannel Washington, will call you for lunch. There is a jazz guiter player up in port Townson, I sub for a jazz quartet at the Castle in Port Townson. Still doing some kayaking and black berry picking. I do miss you and love you very much. You are a great roll model for your children. Be safe

  • Patty Hathaway
    Posted at 00:19h, 24 December Reply

    Greetings Don and Sharry! Steve forwarded your cruising report. It thrills me to know you are cruising far and wide and Starr is still delivering. We cruised 5 of the Hawaiian islands, fond memories! All is well here, I’m 93. The Hathaway family sends love and warm wishes to you.

  • Andrew E Howard
    Posted at 23:55h, 24 February Reply

    I am trying again Don. Does this work now?

Post A Comment